Joana Paulo Pardal graduated in Informatics and Computer Science Engineering (a 5 year full-time degree) in 2001 from Instituto Superior Técnico (IST), Technical University of Lisbon, Portugal. She received an MSc degree in 2004 also from IST. Both with Nuno J. Mamede as advisor. In 2006 she started her PhD work also at IST on Dynamic Integration of Ontologies in Generic Spoken Dialogue Systems, with Nuno J. Mamede, [H. Sofia Pinto] and James F. Allen as advisors. Since September, 17th she is working at Conversational Interaction and Spoken Dialogue Research Group, at the University of Rochester with James F. Allen and Mary Swift.
She has been a researcher at the Spoken Language Systems Laboratory (L²F) of INESC-ID since 2001. Her research interests include knowledge representation; design, use (and reuse) of ontologies; semantic web and semantic web services; spoken dialogue systems; integration of ontologies in spoken dialogue systems; written natural language processing. She participates on «Dialogs on Dialogs» Reading Group at CMU.
She has been a Lecturer at Computer Science Department at IST since 2002, teaching Object-Oriented Programming and Design Patterns, Knowledge Representation, Artificial Intelligence, Autonomous Agents and Multi-Agent Systems, and Distributed Systems.
In 2004 she was invited for a training period at Groupe de Recherche dans les Industries de la Langue (GRIL), at Université Blaise Pascal, Clermont Ferrand, France in 2004.
In 2006 she spent the Fall term at the Computer Science Department, University of Rochester, NY, USA. She was part of the Continuous Understanding team and took the course of Natural Language Processing.
She is a member of ISCA, ACL and AAAI.
- Written Natural Language Processing
- PAsMo - Post Morphological Analyser
- ATA - Automatic Term Acquisition
- Miguel Pardal, Joana Paulo Pardal, José Manuel da Costa Alves Marques, Communications in Computer and Information Science (CCIS), chapter Performance Assessment of Web Services in the STEP Framework, Springer, September 2013
- Miguel Filipe Leitão Pardal, Sérgio Miguel Fernandes, Jorge Martins, Joana Paulo Pardal, Customizing Web Services with Extensions in the STEP Framework, International Journal of Web Services Practices - IJWSP, IEEE Computer Society, vol. 3, n. 1, pages 1-12, Seoul, Korea, June 2008
- David Díaz Pardo de Vera, Milica Gašić, François Mairesse, Matthew Marge, Joana Paulo Pardal, Ricardo Ribeiro, Arash Eshghi, Christine Howes, Gregory Mills, Proceedings of the Fifth Annual Young Researchers’ Roundtable on Spoken Dialogue Systems, September 2009
- Miguel Pardal, Joana Paulo Pardal, José Manuel da Costa Alves Marques, Improving Web Services performance, one STEP at a time, In 2nd International Conf. on Cloud Computing and Services Science (CLOSER) , April 2012
- Joana Paulo Pardal, Nuno J. Mamede, Starting to Cook a Coaching Dialogue System in the Olympus framework, In Proceedings of the Paralinguistic Information and its Integration in Spoken Dialogue Systems Workshop, Springer New York, pages 255-267, doi: 10.1007/978-1-4614-1335-6_26, , Granada, Spain, August 2011
- Filipe Martins, Joana Paulo Pardal, Luís Filipe Catarino Franqueira, Pedro Arez, Nuno J. Mamede, Starting to cook a tutoring dialogue system, In IEEE/ACL Workshop on Spoken Language Technology — SLT, Goa, India, December 2008
- Filipe Martins, Ana Cristina Mendes, Joana Paulo Pardal, Nuno J. Mamede, João Paulo da Silva Neto, Using System Expectations to manage user interactions, In The International Conference on Computational Processing of Portuguese (PROPOR 2008), Springer-Verlag, vol. 5190, series Lecture Notes in Computer Science, pages 240-243, doi: 10.1007/978-3-540-85980-2_29, Aveiro, Portugal, September 2008
- Filipe Martins, Ana Cristina Mendes, Márcio Viveiros, Joana Paulo Pardal, Pedro Arez, Nuno J. Mamede, João Paulo da Silva Neto, Reengineering a domain-independent framework for Spoken Dialogue Systems, In Software Engineering, Testing, and Quality Assurance for Natural Language Processing, an ACL 2008 Workshop, Columbus, Ohio, USA, June 2008
- Carlos Gomez-Gallo, Gregory S. Aist, James F. Allen, William de Beaumont, Sergio Coria, Whitney Gegg-Harrison, Joana Paulo Pardal, Mary D. Swift, Annotating Continuous Understanding in a Multimodal Dialogue Corpus, In Workshop on the Semantics and Pragmatics of Dialogue SEMDIAL 2007 - DECALOG, series SEMDIAL - DECALOG, Rovereto, Italy, May 2007
- Celso Melo, Rui Prada, Guilherme Coelho Barreira Raimundo, Joana Paulo Pardal, H. Sofia Pinto, Ana Paiva, Mainstream Games in the Multi-agent Classroom, In IAT 2006, IEEE Computer Society, pages 757-761, December 2006
- Ricardo Ribeiro, Fernando Batista, Joana Paulo Pardal, Nuno J. Mamede, H. Sofia Pinto, Cooking an Ontology, In The Twelfth International Conference on Artificial Intelligence: Methodology, Systems, Applications, Springer Berlin / Heidelberg, vol. 4183, series Lecture Notes in Computer Science, pages 213-221, Varna, Bulgaria, September 2006
- Joana Paulo Pardal, Nuno J. Mamede, Terms Spotting with Liguistics and Statistics, In Proceedings of the Herramientas y Recursos Linguísticos para el Español y el Portugués workshop, a satelite of the Ninth, pages 298-304, Puebla, Mexico, November 2004
- Joana Paulo Pardal, David Martins de Matos, Nuno J. Mamede, Easy Automatic Terms Acquisition with ATA and Galinha, In TASHA'2003, Faculdade de Ciências da Universidade de Lisboa, vol. 3, series Technical Reports, pages 29-30, Lisboa, Portugal, October 2003
- Luísa Coheur, Fernando Batista, Joana Paulo Pardal, JaVaLI! undestanding real questions, In Proc. EUROLAN'2003 - Student Workshop on Applied Natural Processing, Hamburg, Germany, July 2003
- David Martins de Matos, Joana Paulo Pardal, Nuno J. Mamede, Managing Linguistic Resources and Tools, In Proc. of the 6th Intl. Workshop, PROPOR 2003,, Springer-Verlag, Heidelberg, pages 135-142, doi: 10.1007/3-540-45011-4_20, , Faro, Portugal, June 2003
- Joana Paulo Pardal, M. Correia, Nuno J. Mamede, C. Hagège, Using Morphological, Syntactical, and Statistical Information for Automatic Term Acquisition, In Portugal for Natural Language Processing (PorTAL), Springer-Verlag, series Lecture Notes in Artificial Intelligence, Faro, Portugal, June 2002
- Joana Paulo Pardal, Nuno J. Mamede, ATA - Automatic Term Acquisition, In Proceedings of the Workshop on Extraction of Knowledge from Databases, pages 51-54, Porto, Portugal, December 2001
- Ana Catarina Pacheco, Joana Paulo Pardal, Nuno Ferreira, PoeTA - Poetry teaching agent, In WIAA 2001 Workshop of Introduction to Autonomous Agents, Lisboa, Portugal, January 2001
- David Martins de Matos, Ricardo Ribeiro, Sérgio Paulo, Fernando Batista, Luísa Coheur, Joana Paulo Pardal, Natural Language Engineering on a Computational Grid (NLE-GRID) T2 - Encapsulation of Reusable Components, Tech. Rep. 31 / 2008 INESC-ID Lisboa, January 2008
- Joana Paulo Pardal, David Martins de Matos, Nuno J. Mamede, PAsMo -- Pós-AnáliSe MOrfológica, Tech. Rep. 40 / 2006 INESC-ID Lisboa, June 2006