L2F is conducting preliminary research in the area of multimodal summarization, namely, in the context of broadcast news summarization. Although they are different domains, the extractive summarization techniques commonly used in broadcast news are currently being applied by the research community to meeting summarization. We intend to explore the use of these techniques in the summarization of meetings in Portuguese as well as specific techniques for meeting summarization (e.g. hot spot detection or attention focus). One PhD thesis is currently ongoing in this area.
- Broadcast news summarization
- Using background information to improve speech-to-text summarization
- Mixed-source multi-document summarization
- Topic-directed semantic spaces
- New models for important content retrieval
- Ricardo Ribeiro and David Martis de Matos. Improving Speech-to-Text Summarization by Using Additional Information Sources. Multi-source, Multilingual Information Extraction and Summarization. Theory and Applications of Natural Language Processing series. Springer. 2013. ISBN: 978-3-642-28568-4.
- Ricardo Ribeiro and David Martins de Matos. Summarizing Speech by Contextual Reinforcement of Important Passages. Computational Processing of the Portuguese Language. Lecture Notes in Computer Science (Subseries LNAI), volume 7243. Pp. 392-402. Springer. 2012. ISBN: 978-3-642-28884-5.
- Ricardo Ribeiro and David Martins de Matos. Revisiting Centrality-as-Relevance: Support Sets and Similarity as Geometric Proximity. Journal of Artificial Intelligence Research, volume 42. Pp. 275-308. 2011.
- Ricardo Ribeiro and David Martins de Matos. Using Prior Knowledge to Assess Relevance in Speech Summarization, In IEEE 2008 Workshop on Spoken Language Technology, IEEE, 2008.
- Ricardo Ribeiro and David Martins de Matos. Mixed-Source Multi-Document Speech-to-Text Summarization, In Coling 2008: Proceedings of the 2nd workshop on Multi-source Multilingual Information Extraction and Summarization, pp. 33-40, Coling 2008 Organizing Committee, 2008.
- Ricardo Ribeiro and David Martins de Matos. Extractive Summarization of Broadcast News: Comparing Strategies for European Portuguese, In Text, Speech and Dialogue. Lecture Notes in Computer Science (Subseries LNAI), volume 4629, pp. 115-122, Springer, 2007.